Monday, August 11, 2014

Don't like the blues

As many of you know I take anti-depressants on a regular basis.  I am a believer that sometimes people need a little help to stay balanced.  Every once in a while I run out of my prescription and for some reason I just can't get myself to the pharmacy for my refill.  This has been one of those weeks and because I haven't been on my anti-depressant it has been one of THOSE weeks.

Many people believe that if someone is taking anti-depressants there is something majorly wrong with them. In some cases that is true.  Sometimes it is just that a person needs a little help to stay balanced.  That is true in my case.  My hormones refuse to be balanced.  I have struggled since I was very young but was unaware of what was happening until I was an adult.  I expressed my concern about staying on anti-depressants with my doctor and he explained to me this way.  He asked me if I would consider glasses a crutch or something a person would need to see. Of course they need glasses to see.  He said that is how anti-depressants are for some people.  It is something you need to function just like glasses.  I have found this to be absolutely true in my life.  When I don't take my medication I get frustrated faster,  I get overwhelmed easily and I have no patience for anything.  When I am taking my medication.  I can think clearer, care for my family and myself better and I am basically a much nicer person.

Something that really makes me upset is the news stories that come out about the State of Utah having the highest use of antidepressants and people blaming it on the LDS culture.  They are right but not in the way that they describe in their news stories.  If you were to combine the statistics of anti-depressant use with alcohol use I personally believe you would find a correlation.  Part of the LDS belief system is the choice to not use alcohol.  So, if you drink alcohol because you are depressed it is likely you are not using anti-depressants.

I want to thank my Heavenly Father for the people and companies that develop medications.  I am grateful for their God given talents and abilities.  I am grateful for my anti-depressants.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to read your comments but, please remember this is a family show. Can't wait to hear from you.